Vice President Head of Engineering - San Jose California
- Job Type:
- IT leadership
- $250:000 - $400:000
- Ref #:
The VP, Head of Engineering, OIS manages people and processes in an international environment, collaborating with other development managers and organizations to develop technical staff, products and processes as we engage in the delivery of information-guided software for oncology care and treatment.
- Manage Engineering Management teams of developers, testers, system designers to develop tomorrow's high-quality clinical software solutions using best practice engineering, through the projects and tasks assigned to the teams.
- Monitor teams working in an Agile development environment and be part of the process of supporting these teams.
- Identify and drive initiatives for continuous improvement of the development process, tooling and environment.
- Drive competence development of the group so that we have the right skills and competencies to deliver according to the product and architecture roadmap.
- Identify needs and drive recruiting so that the staffing and competencies match the expectations of the entire engineering organization.
- Set goals and strategies for the development organization together with the other managers inside BASS Engineering.
- Create and maintain a prioritized list of actions together with other managers in the engineering organization to assure that we focus our efforts and work in the same direction
- Assure that the group are well informed on goals, strategies and plans for the organization
- Assure that the group follow procedures according to the QA standards and requirements
- Responsible for cost center cost planning, monitoring, maintaining costs within overall budget, and provides visibility of current and projected costs to Sr. Director
- Actively keep updated on areas concerning software development, the oncology & radiotherapy domain, and clinical business knowledge management
- Implement tools and processes supportive of the overall product development process and for the continued improvement of its effectiveness
- Lead a geographically dispersed team with inspiration and by example
- Champion the importance of innovation and creativity
- Ensure that the engineering staff receives adequate training to support the business needs and to assist their career development
- Define, direct and promote engineering strategies that support business needs
- Directly manages team members' performance evaluation, performance issues, career planning, and PTO. In conjunction with other engineering management team members, assigns team members to scrum teams and monitors performance. In conjunction with other engineering management team members, assigns escalation and defect correction activities to scrum teams.
- Fully participates as a key member of engineering management team in addressing resource planning, sprint cycle and PI planning, facilities planning, tool planning and use, training needs, and in financial planning.
- Expected to be proactive in identifying opportunities for quality improvement, product improvement and in efficiencies.
- Expected to operate effectively and with a relatively high degree of independence as a team member driving growth in the knowledge management business area, but representing engineering and keeping engineering management apprised of progress, status, risks, and issues.
- Exhibits skill in both managing certain aspects of team member's performance and career, while effectively promoting the concepts of small, focused Agile teams that should operate with a level of independence and self-management.
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- 401k, paid Vacation and Holiday
- A wealth of additional benefits including Wellness Reimbursement, Tuition Reimbursement and Flexible Spending Account
- Opportunity to work in the cutting edge in medical advancement
- Close knit company culture
- Upward mobility
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or a related field of study
- 5+ years' experience managing teams and/or departments involved in product development
- Minimum 1 year in Agile environment preferred; Solid understanding of Agile and scaled Agile
- 10+ years medical software development experience ---requirements definition, coding, testing, documenting.
- Adept at operating in an environment mixed with functional teams in "home rooms" and product development work carried out in scrum teams.
- Ability to smoothly coordinate teams, engineering, senior management, and product management in a productive, efficient manner which minimizes conflict.
- Understanding of disciplined methods in the design, development and debugging and test of software programs
- Utilizes and promotes techniques and tools which are reusable, scalable.
- Adept at suggesting, developing, or assisting in development of processes that improve engineering performance and quality output. Minimizes "one-off" solutions that do not contribute to growth or scalability.
- Able to effectively manage staff in remote locations.
- Understanding of medical product-based quality system requirements and compliance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to summarize problems, identify and propose solutions with a minimum of coaching. Able to put together documents or presentations of high quality with appropriate brevity and clarity.
- Adept at early identification of real and potential issues and then following through in a cross functional manner to address while minimizing conflict and tension.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Skills in team participation, quality orientation, and with positive influence techniques
- Able to identify potential candidates for hire, assist in screening process, and completing the recruitment and onboarding processes.
- Listening skills to support teams in problem identification and decision making
- Solid understanding of engineering cost structure and engineering investments. Solid understanding of product economics.
- Adept at operating in a corporate environment that provides extensive opportunities, the need for prioritization, and yet offers several constraints while teams attain objectives.
- Adept at joining customer facing interactions, representing engineering appropriately, and imparting credibility to commitments with the appropriate blend of optimism and realism. Able to be sole representative of engineering and also able to represent BASS appropriately alone if necessary in customer facing situations.
- Must be able to travel as needed for the business.